8 Days Mount Elgon climbing tour
The 8 Days Mount Elgon climbing tour to the peak starts from the north east in Kapkwata and ends in Budadiri. Mount Elgon formed after a volcanic eruption. It is however not active.
Best Months to climb: June to August, and December to February
Day One: Airport EBB – Arrival at Entebbe
You are warmly received and transferred to the hotel for overnight rest
Overnight stay: Lake Victoria View Guest House (BB) or The Boma (BB)
Day Two: Entebbe to Mt Elgon 265km 5hrs
After breakfast and briefing, we drive eastwards through Jinja town and the Mabira forest. Visit the source of the river Nile and the old industrial town along the way. Have lunch in Mbale town and continue to Sipi Falls at the bottom of Mount Elgon. In the afternoon, have a nature walk around the falls. The landscape has beautiful views of the plains below.
Overnight stay: Noah’s Ark (FB) or The Sipi Lodge (FB)
Day Three: Sipi Falls to Piswa Camp (2850m) 4hrs -5hrs hike
After an early breakfast drive to Kapkwata (2190m). At the ranger station, you are received by the Guides and porters and begin the hike of Piswa Trail. Climb gently through woodland and forest with primates and birds until you reach the first camping site for the night with spectacular views of the plains and hills.
Overnight stay: Dinner and Camping at the Piswa Camp (FB)
Day Four: Piswa Camp to Hunters Cave (3870m) 6hrs-8hrs hike
After breakfast begin the days with a long, steep hike to the cave located below the caldera. Here are beautiful landscapes below and above the camp. After dinner enjoy a cup of tea or coffee around the camp fire as you gaze at the stars in the African sky. The night may be cold with temperatures below zero. (FB)
Overnight stay: Dinner and Camping at the Hunters Cave Camp (FB)
Day Five: From Hunters Camp to the Caldera and to Mude Cave Camp (3500m)
In the morning, make the short hike to the rim of the caldera and enjoy the magnificent view. We trek through the marshy crater covered with streams and rivers. Continue on to the hot springs. Relax here and soak the feet in the warm water. We then join Sasa Trail through the middle of the caldera. The volcanic landscape is breathtaking. Along the way, you encounter animals of the park. Descend to Mude Cave.
Overnight stay: Dinner and Camping at the Mude Cave Camp (FB)
Day Six: Climb to Wagagai Peak then to Sasa River Camp (2900m) 3 hrs hike
After early breakfast we hike directly to the summit at 4321m. The Wagagai Peak is the second highest in Uganda after Margherita (5,109m) on the Rwenzori mountains. The climb is not very steep and therefore the peak can be reached after about three hours. The top has magnificent views of the crater and across the border in Kenya. From Wagagai Peak, we descend back to Mude Camp and on to Sasa River Camp.
Overnight stay: Dinner and Camping at the Sasa river Camp (FB)
Day Seven: Sasa River Camp (2900m) to Budadiri Ranger Station (1250m)
In the morning, we leisurely take a long, steep and slippery trail descending the “Wall of Death”. In the background are beautiful terraced hills below the mountain. We walk through homesteads and local farms, to Budadiri park information centre (1250m). Transfer to Mbale town.
Overnight stay: Mbale Resort Hotel (FB)
Day Eight: Mbale to Kampala and departure 215km 5 hrs
Leisurely wake up to breakfast and proceed to Kampala. If time allows and you have interest, have a tour of the city and shop for souvenirs. Transfer to Entebbe airport for your departure.
- 2 persons: USD 1465 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 4 persons: USD 1285 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 6 persons: USD 1215 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- USD: 45 single room supplement outside the double/twin room
- 2 persons: USD 1725 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 4 persons: USD 1510 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 6 persons: USD 1415 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- USD: 140 single room supplement outside the double/twin room
The above Price includes:
- Ground transfers
- 4×4 custom built safari vehicle with knowledgeable driver/guide and fuel
- Bottled drinking water
- Accommodations with mentioned meals
- Entrance fees to the National Park and sites
The following activities: Hiking, camping in the mountain, bird watching
The above Price excludes:
- All activities not mentioned in the Itinerary
- Mountain hiking equipment
- Flights and visa for Uganda
- All Meals and drinks not according to the accommodations
- Tips and personal expenses such as laundry and communications