Preparing for the Mountain hike – 10 Days Rwenzori Mountains climbing tour is a better choice
This 10 Days Rwenzori Mountains climbing tour starts and ends at Nyakalengija. The Rwenzori Mountain chain has several peaks stretching 120 kms along the Uganda – Congo border.
- Highest peak: Magherita 5,109m
- Main attractions: the peaks, rivers and rare bird species
- Best Months to climb: June to August, and December to February
Day One: Airport EBB – Arrival at Entebbe
You are warmly received and transferred to the hotel for overnight rest
Overnight stay: Lake Victoria View Guest House (BB) or The Boma (BB)
Day Two: Entebbe to the Rwenzori Mountains 380km 6 hr
After breakfast, we leisurely transfer west to the bottom of the mountains. Here we make final arrangements for a guide and porters.
Overnight stay: Margherita Hotel (FB) Equator Snow (FB)
Day Three: Nyakalengija trailhead (1600m) to Nyabitaba (2650m)
After a heavy breakfast, we transfer to Nyakalengija starting point (1600m). The hike begins through the banana shambas on the side of the steep foothills and homesteads at the foothills. We follow the trail along the Mubuku River, walking up and down the rocks. We cross the Mahoma River and climb through the forest to the resting point.
Overnight stay: Nyabitaba Hut (FB)
Day Four: Nyabitaba hut to John Matte hut (3350m)
After early heavy breakfast, we hike on a narrow trail through the forest to the Kurt Shafer Bridge, just below the point of Bujuku and Mubuku Rivers. We enter the bamboo zone and then a long stretch of slippery moss-covered trail. We continue through the giant heather, lobelia and groundsel zones up to Nyamileju rock shelter. Finally cross the bog to the hut for the night.
Overnight stay: John Matte Hut (FB)
Day Five: John Matte hut to Bujuku hut (3900m)
We enjoy heavy breakfast and start the hike. The trail goes downhill to cross the Bujuku River and enters giant lobelia zone. Cross the bog to the Upper Bigo bog, continuing to Bujuku Lake, with views of mountain Stanley, the highest among the Rwenzoris.
Overnight stay: Bujuku Hut (FB)
Day Six: Bujuku hut to Elena hut (4541m)
Start the day with energy after breakfast. The marshy trail climbs the slopes west of the Bujuku lake, passing through the Groundsel gully. Hike up to Scott-Elliot Pass (4372m). A metal ladder takes you over an extremely steep section after which the trail branches, the right leads up to Elena Hut and Mt Stanley over a steep rocky trail, while the left leads to Scott-Elliot Pass and down to Lake Kitandara.
Overnight stay: Elena Hut (FB)
Day Seven: Elena hut to Kitandara (4023m)
If you do not wish to climb the peak, a more restful day walking from Elena Hut (4541m) down to Kitandara (4023m).
This morning, climb about three hours up to Margherita peak (5109m) and later down to Kitandara Hut. Well covered with warm clothing, climb on to the glacier and move on to the Stanley Plateau then to the Margherita summit, the highest peak. Crampons and ropes are needed for this ascend since it is a tough challenge. Return to Scott-Elliot Pass and see the picturesque Bujuku Lake and Mt Speke in the background, then descend down to the Kitandara Lakes.
Overnight stay: Kitandara Hut (FB)
Day Eight: Kitandara hut to Guy Yeoman (3260m)
After breakfast, a steep climb to the south of the mountain towards Freshfield Pass (4280m). Here, you have views into the Congo to the west and Mt Stanley to the north side. From the pass, the boggy trail continues passing the rock shelter at Bujangolo, the base camp for the historic expedition by the Duke of Abruzzi in 1906.
Overnight stay: Guy Yeoman Hut (FB)
Day Nine: Guy Yeoman to Nyabitaba (2650m)
This morning, we descend on the muddy and slippery trail down to Nyabitaba. This is an opportune time to have a well deserved rest, taking in the exhaustion and experiences of the Mountain.
Overnight stay: Nyabitaba Hut (FB)
Day Ten: Nyabitaba to Nyakalengija trailhead (1600m) to Entebbe 380km 6 hr
After breakfast, we descend gently on the steep trail back to the Nyakalengija starting point, arriving late in the morning. Transfer to Kasese for lunch and on to Kampala. We arrive at Entebbe airport in the late evening for the departure flight.
End of the 10 Days Rwenzori Mountains climbing tour.
- 2 persons: USD 1950 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 4 persons: USD 1785 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 6 persons: USD 1725 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- USD: 85 single room supplement outside the double/twin room
- 2 persons: USD 2280 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 4 persons: USD 2085 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- 6 persons: USD 1995 per person (double/twin sharing) based on a private tour
- USD: 120 single room supplement outside the double/twin room
The above Price includes:
- Ground transfers
- 4×4 custom built safari vehicle with knowledgeable driver/guide and fuel
- Bottled drinking water
- Accommodations with mentioned meals
- Entrance fees to the National Park and sites
The following activities: Hiking, camping in the mountain, bird watching
The above Price excludes:
- All activities not mentioned in the Itinerary
- Mountain hiking equipment
- Flights and visa for Uganda
- All Meals and drinks not according to the accommodations
- Tips and personal expenses such as laundry and communications